Friday, May 9, 2008

Dustbowl (summer 2006)

Sweeping, a brush fire over their land,
torched skulls of autos along the way,
this snake pit of life stealing my faith.

California redwood, the oldest timber in the west,
but for 60 a barrel you sold it with the rest,
that’s just the fire, thieving in it’s own way

you’re heart’s half red and half blue
just like the flames
but the wind burns hottest of all.

My father’s out there searching to find his grave,
his feet are with the sand, his eyes fixed ahead,
mom’s left the screen door open
and a place for him to lay

cause that’s the way we live, that’s the heart’s way.

I saw a crow last night and he had me in his target,
so I sat down on that empty road and stared back,
he set his rifle down, and I shot him

cause that’s the way we live, that’s just the heart’s way

ma’s still got the screen door propped open (and a place for no one to lay).

No comments: